Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
MelCat is the unified catalog of the Michigan Library Consortium. This allows Hope students order materials in libraries throughout the state, which significantly increased your access to research sources. You can search directly in the MeLCat catalog, or you can jump from a search in HopeCat to an identical one in MelCat, by using the "Find in MeLCat" button.
Once you have found what you are looking for just:
- Click "Get this for me"
- Select Hope College from the list
- Enter your 1Hope ID and password
- You will receive an email when the book arrives at Van Wylen (usually about a week)
Michigan eLibrary (including MeLCat)
Content/Description: Contains full-text articles, books, images, etc. and features an Inter-Library book loaning system with participating Michigan libraries.
If you are unable to locate the resource you need through MeLCat, there are other catalogs you can use to order books and media.
Materials in U.S. and international libraries. These can be requested through InterLibrary Loan.
The Holland public library is strong in more popular and local materials, so you may find resources there that we don't collect at Hope. Stop by the Van Wylen Circulation desk to learn how you can get a Herrick card to check out resources and access their digital collections.
- If you are looking for a book about a particular artist, search their name (Last Name, First Name) as a Subject or Author search
- Remember that when searching for information on a work of art, it is often helpful to search "around" the work and look for more general related topics. For instance, you could search for the art period or the location or the medium.
- If you click on one of the subject headings links in a record, it will bring up a list of similar subjects that might also be helpful.
- If you don't find a book on your artist in HopeCat, look for the "Find in MeLCat" link to do the same search in MeLCat, a joint catalog for libraries throughout Michigan.