Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
MeLCat is the unified catalog of the Michigan Library Consortium. This allows Hope students order materials in libraries throughout the state, which significantly increased your access to research sources. You can search directly in the MeLCat catalog, or you can jump from a search in HopeCat to an identical one in MelCat, by using the "Find in MeLCat" button.
Once you have found what you are looking for just:
- Click "Get this for me"
- Select Hope College from the list
- Enter your 1Hope ID and password
- You will receive an email when the book arrives at Van Wylen (usually about a week)
- Keyword - enter part or all of the author's name and the play title for a general overview
- Author Search - use Advanced Search to enter the author's name as author and the play title as keyword to see what editions of the play we have:
- Subject Search - Search the name of the playwright as a subject to see what has been written about them.
- As you are browsing through your search results, keep an eye out for the call number particularly associated with your play. This will be the location in the stacks where you will be able to find the majority of books on your play. You can send this information to your phone as a text message from the catalog!
- Even though a title might not appear relevant, check the table of contents in the record. There may be a chapter particularly devoted to your play.
- If you click on one of the subject headings links in a record, it will bring up a list of similar subjects that might also be helpful. Particularly helpful is the subject heading that includes the playwright's name and the particular play you are researching. Also helpful can be the headings that include "Criticism and Interpretation" (for example: Webster, John, 1580?-1625? Criticism and Interpretation)
- If you don't find a book on your artist in Primo look for the "Find in MeLCat" link to do the same search in MeLCat, a joint catalog for libraries throughout Michigan. These books take 1-2 weeks to arrive, so make sure and allow yourself enough time.