Jstor is an excellent full text archive of humanities, social science and business journals and includes a large number of history journals.
- This is not an exhaustive collection, and it will not contain things published within the last 4 years. For citations for the most current history articles, use America: History and Life and Historical Abstracts.
- Remember, because you are searching the full text of the article, choose your keywords carefully to avoid getting irrelevant articles. A plus side of this is JSTOR is good for searching for more obscure referenes to a topic.
- To limit your searches further, select specific disciplines from the limiting list.
- To further control your search, use special search characters to increase the presence of certain important terms:
- ^# after a word will request that that particular word be present a minimum of # number of times in the article (ex. irish^10 AND soldier^10)
- ~# after two words in quotes will ask that those word be within # words of each other. (ex. "women* suffrage"~5)
- Jstor is does not in include articles from the last 2-3 years of most of its journals, so for the most recent scholarship, search America: History and Life.